Monday, 11 January 2016

Gordon Graham

Little Gordon Graham was left mother-less in 1908, when he was just one year old.

He was taken care of my his father's sister. Ida. who cared for him like her own. 

Here are some pictures of Gordon's first few years. 

Mary Graham (nee Cobb) holds her son Gordon.
It appears it is the day of his christening.
It is unclear who the other lady is,
but it is likely to be an aunt, perhaps Ida Graham. 1907.

Mary Graham (nee Cobb), Gordon's mother. Around 1907/8. 

Gordon had fantastic curls. 1907/8

Gordon Graham. Around 1908.

Aunt Ida Graham with her nephew Gordon. Around 1908.

Gordon Graham with his father, Robert. Around 1908.

Gordon Graham with Aunt Ida. Around 1910.

Gordon Graham. Date unknown.

Saturday, 17 October 2015

A brother remembers

When Harriet passed away, her brother William wrote down some of his thoughts about his sister. They were published in a newspaper.

Sunday, 4 October 2015

Cobb's Studio on Emerson Street

Emerson Street today, approximately where the Cobb photographic studio once was.

Clive Square at the bottom of Emerson Street.

The Cobbs at Port Ahuriri

Joseph and Harriet opened a photographic studio on Waghorne Street, Port Ahuriri in 1884, not long after they arrived in New Zealand.

Waghorne Street c1880. The Cobb's studio is amongst
the group of buildings in the centre of the picture.

In this later photo of Waghorne Street c1908 the Cobb's studio has been removed.
The Cobb's studio was situated to the left of the centre of this photo. c1908

The shop was situated opposite the London Hotel (no longer there) and nearby was the Denholm Store (still there, but covered in brightly painted stucco).

Denholm Store on Waghorne Street c1878

The Denholm Store c1900.

Across the street, and next to the London Hotel, was the Rolls Bakery owned by Mark Rolls. 

Rolls Bakery on Waghorne Street, 1894.
Mark Rolls and his family at the Rolls Bakery
on Waghorne Street, 1894.
Waghorne Street in the early 1900s.

Waghorne Street c1880.

The blue building is the old Denholm Store. The Cobb studio is likely
to have been where Winston Lane now lies, or on the site of the
green building which is currently a furniture restoration business. 

The blue building is the old Denholm Store covered with painted stucco.

The tin building is on the site of the old Rolls Bakery.
The other large buildings beside it are on the site of the London Hotel. 

The Spit Volunteer Fire Brigade building c1901

These two old villas were on Waghorne Street when the Cobb family worked there.

Another old original house on Waghorne Street.

On the far right is the Knox Church and on the left is an old original house.

Record Image
This is an early photograph of Port Aruhiri, Napier,
which was taken by Joseph around 1885.
It is currently owned by the Hawke's Bay Museums Trust.

Port Ahuriri, taken from Roslyn Street (2015).

Saturday, 3 October 2015

Family Treasures in Napier Museum

While visiting the Napier Museum we spent some time at the archives.

One of the treasures we discovered was this yellowing newspaper clipping of 1893 showing Harriet standing in the doorway of the Western Spit Bethel which later became the Westshore Methodist Church. In the photo it seems that Harriet is the leader of the Mother's Union. Her own son Jack, who would have been around one year old at the time the photo was taken, may have also been in the picture. 

Another of the treasures we were shown were some lovely circular framed portraits of Richard and Emily Lydford. Unfortunately we were not permitted to photograph them. The museum also hold some needlework once owned by the Lydfords. 

Cobbs at Trinity Methodist Church

The Cobb family were heavily involved in the Trinity Methodist Church from the time they moved to Napier in 1889 until patriarch Joseph died in 1911.

Joseph served as church deacon, was treasurer of the Western Spit branch of the church, was Sunday School Superintendant and was also on the Temperance Committee. His name appears on the church's meeting minutes numerous times. 

Harriet taught a Catechumens class for girls wanting to be baptized or confirmed, was a Sunday School teacher, helped at the Western Spit branch, and was leader of the church's Temperance Committee. 

George was on the Christian Endeavor Committee for a time. 

Mary and Alice (Mabel) were members of the church choir for a number of years. 

Here are samples showing the church officers at Trinity...

Trinity Church...

Discoveries at Trinity Methodist Church

While browsing the archives at the Trinity Methodist Church, Napier we came across some amazing family history. It was exciting to turn the old pages of the roll books and church minutes and see the names of our family members there.

Here are some of our discoveries...

The Marriage Certificate for Thomas Smith and Jane Gardner,
my great great grandmother. (Thomas Smith was her second husband.)
Signatures on Thomas and Jane's Marriage Certificate.

Marriage Certificates for Great Aunt Mary,
Marriage Certificate for Robert G Graham and Mary E Cobb 1907.
Signatures on Robert and Mary's Marriage Certificate.

Great Aunt Alice (Mabel),
Marriage certificate of Alfred Jacobi and Alice Mabel Cobb 1903.
Signatures on Alfred and Mabel's Marriage Certificate.

Great Uncle Harold, 

Marriage Certificate for Harold Cobb and Madoline Edwards 1908.
Signatures on Harold and Madge's Marriage Certificate.

Great Aunt Dorothy,
Marriage Certificate for Arnold Blackman and Dorothy Cobb 1907.
Signatures on Arnold and Dorothy's Marriage Certificate.

and, some christening particulars for Great Uncle John (Jack).
John Wesley, son of Joseph Edward & Harriett Sophia Cobb.
Born 6 April 1892 in Napier. Christened 29 May 1892.

Both Joseph and Harriet are nominated at the church meeting, to prepare for the Synod. 

We saw that great great grandad Joseph concluded a church business meeting on 20 July 1904 with a prayer.