Joseph E Cobb

Joseph Edward Cobb
13 March 1839 - 17 March 1911

Joseph's birth
Joseph was the youngest child of John Cobb (baptized 29 Mar 1789 - c13 Jan 1847) and his wife Elizabeth Cutler (c1794 - c1868). He was born in Wimborne Minster, Dorsetshire, in southern England, on 13 March 1839 and was christened the following day at the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Chapel Lane. Joseph was probably named after his paternal grandfather, although a paternal uncle also shared the same name. 
[It is interesting to note that 1839 is recognised as the year of the birth of photography.]

Joseph's paternal heritage
Joseph E Cobb's grandparents, Joseph Cobb (1751 - 1837) and Mary Poor (1753 - 1837) lived in Chalbury which is situated in eastern Dorset. It was in this tiny village that Joseph E Cobb's father, John Cobb (13 Mar 1791 - c13 Jan 1847) was born. Three months prior to John's birth, his older brother who was also named John, died. It appears that his parents named him in memory of the son they lost. John and his siblings, who are listed below, were all born in Chalbury:
  • William Cobb (baptized 22 June 1777 - ?)
  • Anastasius Cobb (Oct 1778 - c24 Oct 1833)
    • Anastasius was named after his paternal grandfather.
    • He married Elizabeth Wareham (1787 - 1868) on 9 Nov 1805. He was a brick-maker. Anastasius and Elizabeth had at least six children, including a son who was also named Anastasius Cobb (1809 - 1887) who worked as a brick-maker in Holt, Dorset.
    • Anastasius Senior died in Wimborne, Dorset, aged 54, and was buried there.
  • Elizabeth Cobb (Jun 1779 - ?)
  • Joseph Cobb (Mar 1781 - Dec 1784)
    • He was born and buried in Chalbury.
  • John Cobb (1789 - c 20 Dec 1790)
    • He was born and buried in Chalbury.
  • John Cobb (13 Mar 1791 - c13 Jan 1847)
  • Henry Cobb (baptised 31 Mar 1793 -  26 Nov 1830)
    • Married Mary Ingram (1795 - 1862) in 1818. They had at least six children.
    • Henry died in Wimborne, Dorset, in 1830, aged 37.
  • Mary Cobb (baptised 18 Jan 1795 - 3 Oct 1795)
    • She was born and buried in Chalbury.
  • Mary Cobb (24 Jan 1796 - 19 Sep 1854)
    • Mary was born in Chalbury, and no doubt, named after her sister, Mary, who died a few months prior to her birth.
    • Mary married William Hall (1795 - ?) in Wimborne, on 27 Apr 1818. They had at least four children.
    • Mary died aged 58 and was buried in Wimborne, Dorset.
  • Charles Cobb (6 Jan 1799 - 12 Feb 1876)
    • Charles was born in Chalbury. He was a brickmaker in Holt. 
    • He married Theresa Hiscock (1817 - 1891) and together they had at least seven children.
    • Charles was buried in Wimborne.

It is unclear why the Cobb family moved away from Chalbury but it is likely that they were seeking better work opportunities. John met his future wife, Elizabeth Cutler, and they were married in Hinton Martel, Dorset, on 7 February 1815 when he was 23 years old. 

The 1841 UK Census records show that 50 year old John was a brickmaker in Colehill, Wimborne. At the time, Joseph was merely four years of age. John died in January 1847 just before Joseph's eighth birthday.

Joseph's maternal heritage
Joseph's mother, Elizabeth Cutler (c1794 - c1868), was born in Hinton Martel, Dorset. Her parents were James Cutler (23 Oct 1774  - 1849), an agricultural labourer, and his wife Phillis Foreman (1771 - 1811). Elizabeth was the eldest of the Cutler children:
  • Elizabeth Cutler (1794 - c1868)
  • Mary Ann Cutler (Bapt Jan 7 1798 - 28 Nov 1856)
    • Mary married Isaac Wilcox (1794 - 1871) on 19 October 1815 at St Wolfrida's Church in Horton, Dorset. Isaac was described as 'base born' (illegitimate) on the baptism register. Mary was 17 when she married.
    • Isaac and Mary had a large family:
      • Phillis Wilcox (1815 - c1819)
      • Joseph Wilcox (20 May 1817 -  21 Dec 1899) married Mary ? (1819 - ?) and they had at least one daughter, Martha Wilcox (1858 - 1883)
      • Phillis Wilcox (1819 - 1820)
      • Rebecca Wilcox (1819 - ?)
      • Abraham Wilcox (8 March 1821 - 29 Dec 1899) married his fourth cousin, Annabella Cutler (1835 - 1910). They had 12 children. [Note: Abraham and Annabella shared the same great great grandparents, John Cutler (1705 - 1755) and his wife Elizabeth Masters (1708 - 1758). Their great grandfathers were brothers.]
      • Mary Wilcox (1822 - 1858)
      • Jacob Wilcox (1823 - 1900) married his first cousin, Ann Mary Preston (1827 - ?) and they had 11 children. [Note: Siblings, Jacob and Dinah Wilcox married Preston siblings. Jacob's father and Ann's mother were brother and sister.]
      • Isaac Wilcox (1826 - 1915) married Anna Maria Hart (1831 - ?) and they had at least two daughters.
      • Jason Wilcox (1827 - ?)
      • Job Wilcox (1828 - 1863)
      • Martha Ann Wilcox (1831 - 1890)
      • Dinah Wilcox (1832 - 1901) married her first cousin, Martin Luther Preston (1832 - 1908), a labourer, in Wimborne in 1859. It appears that they had no children.  [Note: Siblings, Jacob and Dinah Wilcox married Preston siblings. Dinah's father and Martin's mother were brother and sister.]
      • Ann Wilcox (1834 - 1865)
      • Tom Wilcox (1834 - ?)
      • Sarah Wilcox (1836 - ?)
      • Phyllis Martha Wilcox (1838 - 1925) married Thomas Budden (1833 - 1917) and they had 14 children.
  • John Cutler (c1800 - 28 Mar 1835)
    • Born in Horton, Dorset. Baptised on 9 March 1800.
    • John married Mary Read (1805 - ?) in Horton on 18 Jan 1821. They had two children:
      • Joseph Cutler (July 1821 - 1847)
      • Martin John Cutler (12 Jan 1834 - 25 Oct 1923). Martin married Rosannah Froud (dates unknown). They had 12 children. 
    • Died in Woodlands, Dorset, aged 35.
  • Joseph Cutler (26 June 1808 -  15 Jan 1899)
    • Born in Woodlands, Dorset.
    • Joseph married Charlotte Orman (1813 - 1887) on 7 July 1831 in Horton, Dorset. They had at least 11 children.
    • Joseph worked as a woodman.
After Elizabeth's mother died in 1811, her father remarried. The marriage was dated 1 April 1816. His new wife, Mary Ann Wareham (Bapt 12 June 1791 - 1874), was barely three years older than Elizabeth. Together James and Mary extended the Cutler family. Elizabeth's step-siblings were:
  • Edward Cutler (26 Jan 1817 - Nov 1847)
    • Edward married Eliza Lonnen (1821 - ?) in Horton, Dorset, on 25 April 1840. Edward and Eliza had at least three children:
      • Elizabeth Cutler (1841 - 1931) who married John Steel (1833 -1873) on 13 November 1865. John and Elizabeth Steel had six children.
      • Edward Cutler (1845/46 - ?)
      • Mary Cutler (1848 - ?)
    • Edward died when his wife Eliza, was pregnant. He was 30 years old. On 21 February 1850, Eliza married an older widower, David Read (1805 - 12 April 1875) who had ten children from his first marriage. David and Eliza had one daughter together, Jane Read (1851 - ?).
    • It is interesting to note that Eliza Lonnen and Jane Potter (the wife of James Cutler, see below) were first cousins. Eliza's father James Lonnen, and Jane's mother Elizabeth Potter, nee Lonnen, were siblings.
  • James Cutler (22 July 1819 - 1890)
    • James married Jane Potter (1825 - 21 Dec 1857) on 13 May 1843 in Horton, Dorset. James and Jane had four children:
      • James Cutler (1847 - ?) married his first cousin Mary Cutler (1848 - ?). [Their father's were step-brothers. sharing the same father.] James and Mary had four children.
      • Ann Cutler (1850 - 1867)
      • Mary E Cutler (1852 - ?)
      • Martha Hannah Cutler (1854 - 1887) married Dan Bennett (1855 - ?). They appear to have had just one son, Walter Bennett (1880 - ?) before they immigrated to Canada in 1882.
    • Note: Jane Potter and Eliza Lonnen (the wife of Edward Cutler, see above) were first cousins. Jane's mother, Elizabeth Potter, nee Lonnen, and Eliza Lonnen's father, James, were siblings.]
    • James married again after his wife Jane died. His second wife was Ann Spicer (1831 - 10 July 1924). They married in 1859. James and Ann had a further five children:
      • Samuel Cutler (1860 -?)
      • Ernest Samuel Cutler (1861 - 3 Aug 1955) married Rosa Froud (1859 - 1946). [Rosa's mother was Elizabeth Read, the sister of David Read who married Eliza Lonnen, the widow of Edward Cutler.] Ernest and Rosa had five children.
      • Jane Cutler (1864 - ?)
      • Louisa A Cutler (1865 - 1948) married Wesley R Froud (1859 - 1943) and they had three children.
      • David Cutler (7 April 1871 - ?) married Gertrude Emily Read (1872 - ?) in 1904. They had two children.
  • David Cutler (16 Feb 1820 - 22 Dec 1869)
    • David married Barbara Colbourne (1823 - 1859) on 16 May 1840. They had five children. Following Barbara's death, David married spinster Catherine Osboldstone (c1828 - ) on 14 August 1862. Catherine was the house servant for Robert Moore, the Rector of Wimborne, St Giles. David and Catherine don't appear to have had children.
  • Mary Ann Cutler (7 June 1824 - 1909)
    • Mary married Isaac Preston (1821 - 1895) in Horton, Dorset on 15 July 1845. They had eight children (seven sons and one daughter). The Preston family had a farm of 10 acres in Woodlands, Dorset. 
    • It is interesting to note that there was already a family connection when this couple married. Isaac's maternal uncle, Isaac Wilcox married Mary's paternal aunt, Mary Ann Cutler.
  • Lot Cutler (28 May 1827 - April 1892)
    • Lot married Phoebe Cutler (1833 - Dec 1891) in Horton, Dorset, on 14 September 1854. (Phoebe was the daughter of relatives - Mark Cutler and his wife Mary Ann Thorne.) 
    • Lot and Phoebe had six children.
  • Phoebe Cutler (30 Aug 1829 - Sep 1862)
    • Phoebe married Henry Cailes (1829 - 1912) in September 1857. They appear to have had no children. After Phoebe's death Henry married Unity Sims (c1835 - 1906) in Wimborne in January 1963. Henry and Unity had six children.
  • William Cutler (27 Aug 1831 - 1901)
  • Job Cutler (3 Jan 1834 - 7 Dec 1909)
    • Job married Ellen Bailey (1839 - 1870). They had three children. After Ellen's death their youngest child, Emily (4) is recorded on the 1871 UK Census, as living with the schoolmistress as a 'boarder'. Job remarried in 1872. His second wife was Caroline Morgan (baptised 17 June 1838 - at least 1911?). They had at least three more children.

Joseph's siblings
John Cobb and Elizabeth Cutler married in Hinton Martel, Dorset on 7 Feb 1815. Joseph was the youngest in his family. His siblings were:
  • David Cobb (c1815 -  8 Oct 1890)
    • David was the eldest child of John and Elizabeth Cobb. He was born in Hinton Martel, Dorset.
    • He married Elizabeth Ann Galpin (1813 - 1907). They had at least eight children:
      • John William Cobb (1836 - ?)
      • Elizabeth Martha Cobb (1838 - ?)
      • Mary Ann Cobb (1840 - ?)
      • Henrietta Cobb (1845 - 1915)
      • David Cobb (1847 - 1872)
      • Sarah Cobb (1850 - 1902)
      • Elizabeth Cobb (1852 - 1935)
      • Frederick George Cobb (1855 - 1896)
    • David owned a brickyard in Colehill, Dorset. Several of his sons were also brick-makers. Cobb's Road, in Wimborne is named after this branch of the family.
    • The 1841 UK census shows that David and his young family lived next door to his parents and younger siblings, in Colehill.
  • Mary Cobb (c1821 - ?)
    • Need further verification about her because there was another younger Mary (a twin) in this family.
    • The 1841 UK Census lists Mary as being 20 years old and unmarried. (Note: Ages over 15 were often rounded up to the nearest 5 years.)
  • Elizabeth Cobb (12 Aug 1823 - ?)
    • Elizabeth was born in Wimborne, probably in the family home in Colehill, and baptised at the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on 7 December.
    • The 1851 UK Census lists Elizabeth as working as a laundress while her husband, George Cole (dates unknown), worked as a bricklayer journeyman, possibly for his mother-in-law´s brick-making business.
    • Elizabeth and George had at least one daughter, Mary Jane Cole (c1851 - ?).
  • John Cobb (17 June 1825 or 1827 - ?)
    • There are conflicting birth records for John. One parish document says that he was born on 17 June 1825 and baptised at the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Wimborne, on 28 August. A second parish record states that John was born on 17 June 1827 and was baptised at the Wesleyan Chapel on 12 August which would have been his sister Elizabeth´s fourth birthday. The correct birth date is likely to be the earlier one. John was probably born at the family home in Colehill Wimborne.
    • There is no mention of John in the 1841 UK Census, so it is presumed that he died in childhood.
  • Sarah Cobb (26 February 1832 - ?)
    • Sarah was born in Wimborne and baptised 1 April 1832.
  • Martha & Mary Cobb (14 Aug 1835 - ?)
    • The twin girls were born in Wimborne, probably in the family home in Colehill, and were baptised at the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on 27 September 1835. It presumed that the twins died as infants.
  • Joseph Edward Cobb (13 Mar 1839 - 17 Mar 1911)
Joseph's childhood
During Joseph´s childhood, Wimborne Minster was a small but thriving market town. It had a medieval town centre which hosted Friday markets (on High Street) where produce from nearby sheep, cattle and poultry farms was sold. 

The youngest Cobb children were born in Colehill, a rural hillside neighbourhood on the outskirts of Wimborne which later became prime real estate for the rich. Cobb's Road (or Cobb's Lane) in Colehill is named after Joseph's brother, David Cobb and his sons who ran a brick-works in Colehill until the turn of the century. 

The Cobb family home would have been made of local bricks, timber, cob and tiles and probably had a thatched roofJoseph was only a youngster at the time of the 1841 UK census and would have been well looked after by his mother, and older sisters. His father, John (50), worked as a brickmaker. Joseph's brother, David Cobb (25), lived next door with his wife Elizabeth (25) and their young family - John (5), Martha (3) and six month old, Mary.

Joseph's extended family
Joseph would have grown up surrounded by family. His mother came from the large Cutler family who lived in Woodlands, a small village of just over 400, almost eight kilometers north-east of Wimborne. There were many aunts, uncles and cousins on the Cutler side of the family, a number of whom were of a similar age to Joseph. He would have also spent time with his Cobb family too, who originally came from the tiny village of Chalbury. It is likely, that Joseph was close to his Cobb cousins who lived in Wimborne and Holt Wood. 

Joseph's education
Joseph may have attended Queen Elizabeth´s Grammar School which was situated on Blandford Road, Wimborne. This school appears to be the oldest educational facility in the town, having been established in 1497. Perhaps some of Joseph's cousins also attended this school.

Wimborne in the 1840s
When Joseph was eight years old the railway arrived in Wimborne. It must have been very exciting for the young boys of the town to watch the trains coming and going! The railways really opened up Wimborne and caused the town to expand rapidly. Industries involving the extraction of clay and gravel became very important at this time. Colehill itself became a suburb known for its gravel pits and brickworksMost of the old Victorian homes in Wimborne were made from the locally manufactured bricks. 

Brickmaking is big business
Joseph´s uncle, Charles Cobb ran an important brickmaking business from Holt Wood with his nephew (and next door neighbour), Anastasius Cobb. Anastasius' late father (also named Anastasius) was also a brickmaker. Around 1840, the Cobbs supplied the bricks to construct the St James School (now Holt Village Hall), and possibly even helped with the materials used to build the St James Church (1835). Charles Cobb´s brickmaking business continued until around the turn of the century when it was sold to Elias Budden.

Joseph's parents also began their own little brickmaking business in Colehill, taking advantage of the opportunity to use the natural resources available to them either on their own property or in the surrounding area. 

Joseph was barely 12 years old when the 1851 UK Census was taken. His father had passed away four years earlier so his mother was listed as the "proprietor of houses and brickyard". Also living at the freehold family home at 17 Colehill Lane was Joseph's older sister Elizabeth, her husband George Cole (c1818 - ?), a bricklayer journeyman, and their seven month old baby, Mary Jane Cole (1850 - ?). The two men Elizabeth Cobb employed at the brickyard were probably her 36 year old son David Cobb and his 15 year old son John, who down the road at 6 Colehill Lane. No mention is made in the census of Joseph's education, so presumably, he had already completed it. 

Family weddings
It is likely that 15 year old Joseph attended two family weddings in 1854. Firstly, his Uncle Henry´s daughter, Emma Cobb, married Henry Osmond on 21 June at the Wimborne parish church. Then his mother´s step-brother, Lot Cutler, married Phoebe Cutler (daughter of Mark Cutler (a relative) and his wife, Mary Ann Thorne) in nearby Horton, on 14 September. 

Career choice
Although Joseph would have had ample exposure to the brickmaking trade in his parents' business, he decided to follow another career path and become a carpenter and joiner. The 1861 UK census, records that Joseph (22) and his mother were living at 21 Burt's Hill, Colehill. The town of Wimborne at this time had a population of almost 5000. The census states that Joseph was employed as a carpenter while his mother Elizabeth (66), was listed as a laundress. This is in contradiction to J G Harrod´s & Co Postal & Commercial Directory of 1865 which lists Mrs Elizabeth Cobb, Joseph´s mother, as the only 
brickmaker in Colehill. It is interesting to note that there was a single professional photographer operating in Wimborne at the time, a Mr George MacKenzie, who worked from King Street. Joseph may have known George, and perhaps this is how Joseph became interested in photography.

Christchurch, Dorset
It is unclear exactly when Joseph moved to the nearby, slightly larger town of Christchurch, Dorset, but we know that he was living there before 1866. He may have moved there around the time his mother passed away. We are unsure of the exact date of her passing but however, it must have been before the 1871 census because she is not listed in it. While most of Joseph's family remained in the Wimborne area, he did have a cousin, Ann Homer (his uncle Henry Cobb's daughter), who lived in Christchurch with her husband Israel, and their family. It is likely that Joseph spent a lot of time with them.

Marriage and family
Joseph became acquainted with a talented young professional photographer named Harriet Sophia Day (10 Feb 1846 - 18 Dec 1929) in the early half of the 1860s. She was the eldest daughter of Bournemouth's premier photographer, Robert Day (1822 - 11 Feb 1873) and his wife Emily Page (10 June 1826 - 17 November 1909). It is unclear how Joseph and Harriet met, but perhaps they met at her family´s photography studio, Day & Son, in the nearby seaside town of Bournemouth. In any case, it is likely that their shared passion for photography coupled with their deep religious fervour, drew the couple together. Joseph (25) and Harriet (20) married in the Church of St John the Evangelist in the small village of Holdenhurst, Hampshire (just north of Bournemouth) on Christmas Eve December 1866

Joseph E Cobb in his younger days,
around the time when he married Harriet

Harriet on her wedding day, 24 December 1866.

Joseph and Harriet probably lived on the site of their High Street shop in Christchurch, Dorset. There they began their family of fifteen children, although five died as infants: 

  • Arthur Edward Cobb (23 Sep 1868 - 10 Mar 1873) 
  • Alfred (Alf) John Cobb (20 June 1869 - 3 Feb 1962)
  • Robert (Bob) Charles Cobb (20 Oct 1870 - 20 Dec 1949)
  • Elsie Day Cobb (19 Nov 1872 - 12 July 1957)
  • George William Cobb (24 Oct 1873 - 30 Aug 1950)
  • Percy Frederick Cobb (7 March 1875 - 7 July 1958)
  • David & John Cobb [twins] (27 May 1876 - 2nd quarter 1876) 
  • Walter Joseph Cobb (4th quarter 1877 - 27 Apr 1879)
  • Mary Elizabeth Cobb (23 Oct 1878 - 16 Feb 1908)
  • Alice Mabel (known as Mabel) Cobb (25 Feb 1879 - 18 Feb 1903)
  • Dorothy Emily Cobb (20 Aug 1880 - 11 Nov 1979)
  • Harold Day Cobb (17 Dec 1881 - 29 Nov 1961)
  • Lily Harriett Cobb (28 July 1886 -  Apr 1887) 
  • John (known as Jack or Cobbie) Wesley Cobb (6 April 1892 - 7 June 1917) 
A new photography business
Joseph and Harriet set up a photography studio in the glasshouse behind their High Street shop. It was here that Harriet began specialising in portraiture. Later, in 1868, they moved to the two story Stour Cottage, 20 Barrack Road, which was built around 1830. There was a conservatory adjoining the house which was probably used as the new studio. These days [2017] Stour Cottaae is a Grade II heritage building and is presently used as a Youth Centre

A young family
Joseph and Harriet´s firstborn, Arthur, was born in Bournemouth on 23 September 1868 almost exactly nine months to the day since their wedding. He was probably born at Harriet's mother's home. Alfred (Alf) and Robert (Bob) were added to the Cobb family in quick succession. (Alf was born in Bournemouth while Bob was born in Christchurch.)

In the 1871 UK Census, Joseph (30) is recorded as being a 'photographer and blind maker.' With a budding business and three small sons, Arthur (3), Alf (1) and newborn Bob to take care of, the young professionals took in local girl, Eliza Fanny Hayes (14) to be the family help. 

Family additions and subtractions 
Joseph and Harriet welcomed their first daughter, Elsie Day, into their family on 23 October 1872. The following year was, however, proved to be a very challenging one for them. Firstly, on 11 February 1873 Harriet's father Robert, passed away after suffering a long illness. He was farewelled at a full military funeral and buried in the St Peter's Churchyard in Bournemouth. Also in the first quarter of 1873, Joseph and Harriet's eldest child, Arthur, died. He was just five years of age. While we have no information at present as to the cause of Arthur's death or his burial place there is no doubt that his loss would have been a most traumatic experience for the whole family.  

George was born on 24 October 1873 and Percy arrived on 7 March 1875. Just over a year later, newborn twins, David and John, passed away within a week of their birth. Another son, Walter, was born in the first quarter of 1877. Mary was born into the Cobb family on 23 October 1878 but when she was only a few months old, one year old Walter died. The cause of his death is unknown.

High Street shop
Joseph must have been an ambitious character with business savvy because in 1878 he is listed in a local business directory as a photographer, and the owner-operater of the Berlin Wool & Stationery shop at 4 High Street in Christchurch. The local British & Foreign Bible Society had a depot at Joseph´s shop which indicates that he was a deeply committed Christian who supported the work of the society. In the late 1800s Berlin wool work (a type of embroidery), was a very fashionable craft. It began in Berlin, Germany but quickly gained popularity in Britain after the Great Exhibition in London (1851). There is no doubt that Joseph's shop, would have been well patronised by many keen crafters! It is likely that Harriet was also keen on the craft. 

Another Good-bye
On 25 May 1879, Joseph may have accompanied his heavily pregnant wife to the wedding of her younger sister, Emily Valentina Day (14 Feb 1848 - 15 July 1930) to carpenter, Richard Lydford (30 Aug 1849 - 22 Oct 1913). The wedding was held at the parish church of St Mary, in Newington, London. While this was a happy family occasion, it would also have been a sad time for the sisters because five days after the wedding, the newlyweds, along with Richard's older sister, school mistress Mary Lydford (Sep 1846 - 1913), migrated to New Zealand under the 'assisted passage' scheme. The Lydfords departed from Plymouth on the ship Rakaia on 31 May 1879. 
Newlyweds, Richard and Emily Lydford
just prior to emigrating to New Zealand in 1879.
Photo by E Day and Son (Bournemouth).
(From the collection of the Hawke's Bay Museums Trust,
Ruawharo Ta-u-rangi, 4021.)

The family grows
Three more children were born to Joseph and Harriet in Christchurch, Dorset. Firstly, Alice (known as Mabel) was added to the family on 25 February 1880, and was one year of age when the 1881 census was taken. It recorded that Joseph and Harriet had seven surviving children, Alf, Bob, Elsie, George, Percy, Mary and Alice. [Interestingly, in spite of being the owner-operator of a successful store, Joseph´s employment status is recorded on the census as simply, 'photographer.'] Dorothy arrived on 20 August 1881, then Harold was born on 17 December 1882.

1880s Christchurch
Christchurch, Dorset, was a small town with a population of just over 5500 at the time of the 1881 Census. There were about 35 shops in the central part of the town, on High Street, Castle Street and Church Street. The Cobb's shop on High Street would have been well patronised. The town became busier once the railway connection to the mainline was opened in 1883.

Considering a new life
Around 1880, Joseph and Harriet began thinking about immigrating to New Zealand. Harriet's sister, Emily, had written, encouraging them to move there for a better life. After deliberating for some time they finally took Emily's advice. In August 1883, Joseph and Harriet sold their shop to Alfred Mallett*, and arranged passage to the new country. Because many people were keen to migrate to New Zealand, the demand for berths was great. 

Dorothy Emily's birth was recorded as 20 August 1881 and on 17 December 1882, Harold Day joined the family.

Joseph and Harriet finally boarded the ship Lady Jocelyn in London, on 29 August, 1883, with nine children. Alfred, the eldest surviving child, was about 14 years of age, while the youngest at the time, Harold, would have been eight months old. The ship was headed for Wellington.

Joseph and Harriet with their children, 1883. 
This photo was taken just prior to the family 
departing for New Zealand.

The first few days on board the Lady Jocelyn were quite harrowing for all the passengers. On 1 September, the ship sailed into a storm the ship was damaged so severely that it had to return to England for repairs which were carried out at Spithead

The following recount of the storm appeared in the Star, Issue 4843 on 7 November 1883.

The Lady Jocelyn Disabled

Saloon Passenger's Narrative

          One of the saloon passengers by the Lady
Jocelyn to Auckland has kindly furnished me
with the following narrative of his experiences
during the fearful gale which disabled that
vessel in the Channel on Sunday, the 2nd
inst. He says: - "After a delightful day
spent on board, the vessel at that time glided quietly
along through a quiet summer sea. Presently
the ship began to roll and pitch heavily, but
as I am a fairly good sailor, I thought nothing
of this until the noise on deck, the shrill
whistling of the wind, and the occasional
thunder of a green sea for'ard, proclaimed
that the weather was growing very dirty
indeed. Matters grew considerably worse
after midnight, and I half resolved to turn
out and have a look up the companion ladder.
Remembering, however, the door would
probably be locked, I lay still, and was
just dropping off to sleep when a terrific
shock, which made the great ship tremble
like an aspen, and was followed by a most
alarming smashing of glass, crockery, luggage
and cabin furniture, aroused me. Water was
pouring down everywhere. My state room
had three feet washing about directly,
and all my luggage - save a Gladstone
bag - lay soaking therein. My fellow pas-
sengers had by this time assembled in
the saloon, wondering what would happen
next, and naturally very much alarmed.
We spent the rest of the night as best we
could upon the few settees that remained
dry. It was a miserable time. The vessel
rolled so heavily that it often seemed as
though she would never right herself again.
Moving about was an impossibility, and even
those sitting or lying down had to cling on
tightly to some safe fixture. The chief
steward fell down the companion ladder and
was badly hurt, and several passengers got
more or less bruised. We were right glad
next day to find ourselves safely anchored at
Spithead, and thanked Providence for a
merciful escape when we saw the dock. The
sea had made a clean sweep of everything
aft. Yards of bulwarks are gone from both
sides of the ship, and she looks as battered as
a "Flying Dutchman" after a three years'

The Lady Jocelyn set sail from Portsmouth, England, for Wellington once again on 18 September, under the command of Captain Watt. New Zealand was sighted on 29 December and they disembarked on 1 January 1884.

The announcement of the arrival of the Lady Jocelyn was announced in The Evening Post, 31 December 1883, Vol XXVI, Issue 154. The Cobb family's names are listed as passengers on the ship:

The arrival of the ship Lady Jocelyn
from London.

The steamer Huia, which arrived early
this morning, reports passing the ship Lady
Jocelyn, Captain Watt, from London, off
Kapiti at 5 p.m. yesterday. She reported
all well. It will be remembered that this
ship originally left London on the 30th
August for Wellington, but owing to receiv-
ing considerable damage during a severe gale
had to put into Portsmouth on the 3rd Sep-
tember to repair. She left there again on
the 18th September. Her passengers are: -
Saloon - Herbert C. Wilmot, Herbert T.
Dicksee, Miss E. Bernard, Miss E. Bodger,
Neville and Gordon Shute, Lowten and
Mrs. Lowten, William, Ada L., and Catherine
Bates; Herbert J. Dixie, R. Farrant, W. B.
Stott, Hugh Fraser, G. A. Kemperman, Miss
M. Moorfhed, L. E. H. Corbett, James and
Arthur Broonhead, Mr. H. and Mrs. Wrigley.
Second cabin - Charles L. Spencer, Smith
Wylie, Thomas Cranswick, George E. and
Elizabeth A. Marriott, John W. Newman,
Miss Harriet Furniss, Henry James Flint,
Robert and Mrs. Manton, Walker (2), Edith
(2), Florence, and John Brown; Andrew
Johnston, Annie Hallahan, H. Williams,
W. H. Dixon. Steerage - John, Margaret,
and Dorothy Purves; Edgar J. Davies, W.
H. Gilbertson, Rebecca Coleman, Charles
L., Frank R., and Albert P. Bladen;
Joseph, Ann, Frank, Harry, Annie, Alfred,
and Rosamond Loasby; Thomas, Emily,
Rose, William, Elizabeth, and Albert Dret-
ton; Lucy, Frank, Arthur, and Carrie
Hockley; Richard and Ruth White; W.
Downward, Sarah Dutton, Henry Kent;
Seth, Mary A., and Clara Blanchard; Wil-
liam, Esther, John, Annie, Henry, Mary,
Catherine, William, Herbert, and Thomas
Willis; Elizabeth Georgeson, Edward B.
Osborn; Joseph E., Mrs., Alfred J. C.,
Robert C., Elsie D., George W., Percy F.,
Mary E., Alice M., Dorothy E., and Harold
D. Cobb; Robert G. N., Susannah, Robert,
Alice J., and Florence Parker; Fanny Dare;
Annie M., Phillip S., and Annie Andrew;
Wm. H. Probyn, Henry Nonk, Henry
Hughes, William and Ann Allan, Robert E.
Shine, Charles T. Clay, P. King, James O.
Pawrence; Alfred, Charles, and Phillip
Wright; Teresa Deverall, Joseph Hall,
Robert Aldersey, Ernest Collier, Caroline
      The Lady Jocelyn reached the Wellington
Heads this afternoon, and should get in this
evening. She is one of the Shaw, Savill and
Albion Co.'s line, and Mr. E. Pearce is agent
for her.

On arrival in Wellington, Joseph and Harriet embarked on the ship 'Kiwi' which was headed to Napier, and arrived there on 5 January 1884.  Below is the notice of arrivals to Napier from the Hawke's Bay Herald, Vol XXI, Issue 6749, 7 January 1884, which mentions the Cobb family:


     January 5 - Kiwi, S.S., from Wellington and the
coast. Passengers for Napier (transhipped ex Lady
Jocelyn) - Miss Smith, and Mr and Mrs Cobb and 11

A new life in New Zealand
The Cobbs settled in Port Ahuriri, just over the hill from the Lydford family (Harriet's sister Emily's family) who, at the time, resided on Roslyn Road on Napier Hill. It  must have been a lovely reunion for the sisters, and a great thrill for Richard and Emily to introduce the first three of their New Zealand children: Richard Jnr, William, George Day.

Starting business in New Zealand  Joseph and Harriet lived in Port Ahuriri for approximately one year. During that time, they opened a photographic studio on Waghorne Street, opposite the London Hotel. Just a few doors down the road from the studio was the Bethel Mission, later renamed Knox Church, and in the other direction was the store owned by Denholm & Sons where Harriet encouraged patrons to make appointments. 

Waghorne Street c1880. The Cobb's studio is amongst
the group of buildings in the centre of the picture.

The site of the Cobb's Port Ahuriri Studio is likely to be Winston Street itself, or the building (currently a furniture restoration business [2015]) on the corner of Winston and Waghorne Streets. On the other corner is the old Denholm Store, now used as a residential address. It is disguised with stucco and painted blue.

The blue building is the old Denholm Store covered with painted stucco.
The Cobb store was either situated on the left of the store where Winston Lane
is, or at the green building on the opposite side of the street.
Photo by K Bland, 2015

During 1884, daughter Elsie completed Standard IV, and George completed Standard II at Spit District School. Both of them excelled accademically. Twelve year old Elsie came first in her class for General Proficiency and second place for her sewing prowess, while ten year old George came second in his class for General Proficiency.

Joseph took a great photo of Ahuriri around 1884. It is likely that he took it from the Lydford's home on the Napier Hill.

Living in Hastings In early 1885, Joseph and Harriet moved their family to Hastings where they lived until early 1889. Hastings was a newly formed town, just 11 or 12 years old, at the time when the Cobb family moved there. 

Joseph and Harriet opened a photographic studio in Hastings not long after arriving. It was located next to Mr Roach's Department Store, a prime location for foot traffic. In the book, A Picture Book of Old Hawke's Bay, page 57, there is a great photograph of the shops along Heretaunga Street, including Roach's Store. (Incidentally, in the 1931 earthquake, 17 people were crushed to death in Roach's Department Store.) The shop that Joseph and Harriet occupied is shown to the left of the picture and it is highly likely that Mr Roach leased it to them. 

Joseph and Harriet spent time at each of the photographic studios in 1885. According to newspaper advertisements in February 1885, business was so busy at the Port Ahuriri studio that Harriet only spent Tuesdays and Thursdays in Hastings, and advised local customers to make prior bookings.

WANTED KNOWN. That J. E. Cobb and Mrs. Cobb have opened a Photographic Studio in Hastings (Next door to Mr. Roach, Storekeeper) in connection with their business at Port Ahuriri, and respectfully solicit the patronage of the residents of Hastings and neighbourhood. Mrs. Cobb will attend Hastings on TUESDAY and THURSDAY only, until further notice, in consequence of her numerous engagements at the Port Studio. Sitters are respectfully requested to make appointments when possible.
The above advertisement appeared in the Daily Telegraph, Issue 4236, 21 February 1885, page 3 

It seems that the above advertisement may have confused customers about when the Hastings studio was open, so Joseph and Harriet had the wording changed in subsequent advertising to read...

WANTED KNOWN. That J. E. Cobb and Mrs. Cobb have opened a Photographic Studio in Hastings (Next door to Mr. Roach, Storekeeper) in connection with their business at Port Ahuriri, and respectfully solicit the patronage of the residents of Hastings and neighbourhood. Attendance at both studios daily. Sitters are respectfully requested to make appointments when possible.
The above advertisement appeared in the Daily Telegraph, Issue 4250, 4 March 1885, page 3

It is unclear where the Cobb family resided in Hastings, but photographs indicate that there were many villas within walking distance of their shop which suggests that they probably lived nearby.

While living in Hastings, Joseph worked as the superintendent of the Presbyterian Sunday School at the St Andrews Church on Market Street South, a position he held for four years. Harriet was also involved in the Sunday School, teaching a class of young girls. The church, which seated 130, was only two years old when the Cobbs began attending. 

Harriet's photography gets noticed 
In 1885 Harriet exhibited some photographs in Wellington which caught the eye of Julius Von Haast. The following lengthy advertisement appeared in the papers not long afterward, announcing the proposal to take her photograph collection to London to be displayed at the Colonial and Indian Exhibition the following year. Along with this notice we notice that Joseph specialised in outdoor photography, while Harriet majored in studio portraiture:

WANTED KNOWN. That Mrs. Cobb 
has received from Dr Julius Von 
Haast the following communication:-
"Colonial and Indian Exhibition in 
London, 1886.
"New Zealand Commissioner,
"Christchurch, 24 Sept., 1885.
"Madam, - Believing that your Exhibit 
now in the Industrial Exhibition in Wel-
lington would be a credit to the colony if it 
were shown at the Colonial and Indian 
Exhibition to be opened in London in May 
next, I should be glad if you would 
allow me to forward it, or a similar one, 
for that purpose.
"I have the honour to be,
"Your obedient servant,
Mrs Cobb will be in attendance at Port 
Ahuriri on Mondays and Thursdays, and 
the remainder of the week at Hastings.
J E Cobb is prepared to execute orders 
for outdoor photography in all its branches.
Postal address - Hastings

A new baby
Joseph and Harriet welcomed baby Lily into their family in early 1886, some five years after her brother Harold. Lily was born in Hastings. Harriet was 40 at the time. No doubt Lily's many older siblings doted on her.

Community involvement & business difficultiesIn May 1886, Joseph became a founding treasurer of the Hastings Lodge of Loyal United Friends. It was named 'Hastings No.5'.

Business must have been going well, because in May 1886, Joseph advertised for tenders to build two shops with attached dwellings, which we believe were to be built in Napier and Hastings. 
But not long afterwards, Joseph got into financial difficulty. In February 1887, Joseph was taken to the Hastings Resident Magistrate's Court. He was fined and ordered to pay costs. A few months later, on 7 June 1887, Joseph filed for bankruptcy in the Superior Court of Bankruptcy in Napier. 

While we are unsure about the specific cause of Joseph's financial difficulties, it may have had something to do with the the great fire of Napier which broke out in Tennyson Street, Napier at around 10am on 18 December 1886 and quickly engulfed 26 buildings in the block towards Emerson Street. The fire must have resulted in a down-turn in business for the Cobbs who still had their studio at Port Ahuriri at this time. 

The other possible cause of the financial difficulty could be connected with the death of daughter Lily aged around nine months, in late 1886. We are unsure of the cause of her death, but it could be that she was quite sick prior to her death which may have resulted in costly medical bills, and then burial fees. It is unclear where Lily is buried, there being no record of her death in either Hastings or Napier due to burial records being destroyed during the Napier earthquake of 1931. The photograph below is the only known one of her:
Lily Harriett Cobb, Joseph and Harriet's youngest daughter.
Photo taken in 1886. Photo probably by J E Cobb.
(Photo courtesy of L Cobb.)

Harriet builds up the business again
In spite of the bankruptcy, Joseph and Harriet didn't give up. Because the earlier businesses were in Joseph's name, it was possible for Harriet to restart trading again in her own name. We know that in the time between the bankruptcy and early 1889, she travelled to Waipawa and Onga Onga to take photos. 

In early 1889, Joseph and Harriet moved their family to Napier and set up a studio in Emerson Street, the main business street of the town. It was located on the right hand side, about half way between Market and Dalton Streets, if travelling from Marine Parade. The following advertisement appeared in the paper, giving the location of the new studio...

WANTED KNOWN. That Mrs. Cobb of Hastings, will open a Portrait Studio in Napier on or about April 6th in the premises lately occupied by Messrs. Pitt and Maguire in Emerson Street.
Daily Telegraph, Issue 5490, 1 April 1889, page 3

Pitt and Maguire advertisements indicate that they were situated next to Magill and Campbell, the drapers, and opposite from Jensen's watchmaking and jewellery shop. The shop would have been newly built, as many of the shops along the right side of Emerson Street away from Marine Parade, had been razed by fire just over two years before.

It appears that Joseph and Harriet opened the studio on Monday 8 April 1889. While Harriet commited herself to working in Napier almost full time, judging by the following advertisment, it is likely that Joseph continued to attend the Hastings branch.

WANTED KNOWN. That Mrs. Cobb is prepared to take Portraits at her Studio in Emerson Street, premises lately occupied by Messrs. Pitt and Maguire. Mrs. C. will attend her Hastings Studio on Wednesdays only until further notice. Postal address, Hastings.
Daily Telegraph, Issue 5498, 8 April 1889, page 3

Joseph, Harriet and family attended the Trinity Methodist Church in Central Napier becoming heavily involved in the life of the church. Church records indicate that Joseph attended the quarterly business meetings. 

This document records all the members of
Trinity Methodist Church which class they were in.
The column on the top right is Harriet's class.
Photo by K Bland, 2015.
Church records accessed courtesy of the Trinity Methodist Church.
Trinity Church documents show that in March 1891, Joseph, Harriet, Elsie and George were members of the Minister's Bible class. (It is interesting to also note that Robert Ashcroft and his father Peter attended Mr Law's Bible class. Robert was to become the husband of Joseph and Harriet´s eldest daughter, Elsie.) Harriet was responsible for teaching 20 young girls in the Catechumen class as they prepared for their baptism or confirmation. The minister had 27 in his Catechumen class, including the youngest Cobb children: Mary, Alice (Mabel), Dorothy and Harold. 

In 1891 Joseph and Harriet discovered that they were expecting a baby! This was definitely a surprise addition to their already big family since their children ranged in age from Alf, who was about 22 years old and newly married, to the youngest, Harold, who was just over 10 years old at the time. 

On 11 July 1891 Joseph was appointed vice-chairman of the Wesleyan Band of Hope at the Bethel Mission, Western Spit. This organisation promoted temperance and helped educate young people about the dangers of alcohol

On 24 December 1891, Joseph and Harriett celebrated 25 years of marriage. To mark the occasion, their children presented them with an engraved clock, shown below. The clock is presently in the possession of one of Robert Cobb's grandsons. 
Clock given to Joseph and Harriett by their children
on the occasion of their 25th wedding anniversary, 24 December 1891.
Photo courtesy of K J Bland.

Clock given to Joseph and Harriett Cobb by their children:
"Dear Father and Mother, on their silver wedding day, Napier Dec 24th 1891."
(Photo courtesy of K J Bland)

Joseph became a father for the final time when he was 53 years old. Son, John Wesley Cobb made his entrance to the world on 6 April 1892, probably at the family home on Emerson Street. He was christened at the Trinity Church on 29 May along with another newborn named Charlotte Bryan.

Joseph was the photographer at the Hastings wedding of Winifred Williams and Frank Nelson, in November 1893. Both the bride and groom were from prominant Hastings families. 

The Electoral Roll of 1896 stated that Joseph and Harriet were working as photographers, along with their son George. 

The Trinity Church members gave a vote of thanks to Joseph in April 1898 "for the excellent manner in which he had conducted the West Spit [Sunday] School." Later a church meeting in July of the same year, Joseph was nominated Society Steward a non-pastorial position, but still, one of prominence within the Methodist church.

It was reported in the church newspaper, The Advocate, 2 September 1899, that Joseph had pledged 10 pounds and 1 shilling to the Century Commemoration Fund.

In 1901 a Mr Cobb (we are pretty sure this refers to Joseph) was elected to the committee of the Hawke's Bay Auxiliary of the British and Foreign Bible Society.

From 1902 Joseph became the superintendant of the Trinity Church Sunday School in Napier. The New Zealand Methodist Times newspaper of 27 October 1934 reported that he displayed "a quiet and graceful influence" over all the students. His example always pointed them to "higher ideals." Joseph kept this position at the church until his death.

Joseph and Harriet's daughter Alice (Mabel) died in 1903, a few days after giving birth to her first baby. The family buried her in the Old Napier Cemetery.

On 30 March 1904, Joseph and Harriet's second eldest daughter, Mary, was married to Robert Grier Graham at the Trinity Methodist Church, Napier.

The wedding of Robert and Mary Graham. 30 March 1904.
From left: Harold, Harriet (seated at front), Ida Graham, Robert & Mary Graham, Dorothy, Joseph, Graham Foreman (best man). This photograph is from Mrs Cobb's studio, possibly taken by George Cobb since Harriet is in the picture.
(Photo courtesy of S Rabarts.)

Joseph attended quarterly meetings at the Trinity Methodist Church. On one such meeting it is noted that he gave the closing prayer.
"The meeting was concluded with prayer by Bro Cobb..." 20 July 1904
Photo taken by K Bland, 2015.
(Church records accessed courtesy of the Trinity Methodist Church, Napier.)

In 1905/06 the Electoral Roll recorded Joseph and Harriet, along with their son Harold (24-25 years old), as being photographers. Daughters, Mary (27-28 years old) and Dorothy (25-26 years old), were listed as doing 'domestic duties'. 

In February 1907 Joseph and Harriet made a substantial 10 pound donation to the Foreign Mission Fund through the Methodist Church.

It seems that Joseph rode a bicycle around town. Unfortunately for him, a young lad named William Smith stole the bike in 1907. The bike was was worth ten pounds. When caught, it was established that young William was a cronic thief.

Mary, Joseph and Harriet's second daughter, died in 1908, aged 29 years. She left behind a baby boy, Gordon. Mary was buried in Onga Onga.

In February 1911 the local newspaper reported that several of Mr Cobb's Sunday School students at the Trinity Methodist Church excelled in their class and were awarded prizes at the annual prize-giving ceremony.

Joseph E Cobb. (Date unknown, but around 1911.)

Joseph died at his home on 17 March 1911 just a few days after his 70th birthday. He was buried on the old Napier Cemetery, not far from his daughter Alice. Interestingly, his brother and sister in law, Richard and Emily Lydford were bured almost opposite him.

We think that Joseph's grave is the one in the centre, with no headstone.
Photo taken by K Bland, 2015.
The road leading up the hill to the Old Napier Cemetery.
The white picket fence is the entrance to the cemetery. c1900.
The following touching tribute was made of Joseph in the Manawatu Standard on his passing - 

Mr J. E. Cobb, a much-respected and highly esteemed Napier
citizen who passed away at his residence, Emerson Street, Napier,
on Friday morning, came to New Zealand with his wife and family
on the ship "Lady Jocelyn." They landed in Wellington on January
1st, 1884, and immediately sailed in the "Kiwi" to Napier. There
Mr Cobb has lived in the same residence for 24 years, winning the
confidence and goodwill of all who knew him. He was a zealous
and unsparing worker in connection with Trinity Church, and
faithfully filled various offices. He was also for many years, a
teacher and superintendent of Trinity Sunday School, and was one
of the original promoters of the good work commenced at the
Western Spit Bethel, which has developed into the Methodist
Church at Westshore. In temperance work and other movements
for the betterment of the community, Mr Cobb took an active part,
being a valued member of the Napier United Temperance Council.
The deceased was born in Borne, Dorsetshire, and passed to his rest
after three days illness, having reached the age of 70 years. A 
widow and eight children, all but one being married, are left to mourn their loss. They include: Messrs A. J., R. C., and P. F. Cobb, of Palmerston, Mr H. D. Cobb of Te Kuiti, Mr G. W. Cobb of Martinborough, and Mesdames K. V Ashcroft of Pahiatua and A. Blackman of Te Kuiti.

Another notice was printed, to the same effect, in the Hastings Standard, 18 March 1911:

At his residence in Emerson Street yesterday morning, one of the oldest and most respected Napier identities, in the person of Mr G Cobb Senior, passed away. In 1884 Mr and Mrs Cobb arrived in the Dominion, and from Wellington came at once to Napier. For many years Mr Cobb has been an ardent worker in the interests of the Trinity Church had has also been a member of the Napier United Temperance Union in which work he took a keen interest. The deceased was born at Wimborne, Dorsetshire. He leaves a widow and eight children, seven of whom are married.

Joseph must have been a very well-loved, and memorable figure, because in November 1911, eight months after his death, the Reverend E O Blamires makes a speech at the annual synod for Wesleyan Churches of the Wellington region, in which he says he misses 'Father Cobb'.

Church members at the Hastings Methodist Church also keenly felt the loss of 'Father Cobb' where he served as Sunday School Superintendent and in other leadership roles. A fine obituary was printed in The New Zealand Methodist Times, 8 April 1911: 

Mr. Joseph Edward Cobb, of Napier
Mr. Joseph Edward Cobb, of Napier, passed triumphantly Home early on the morning of Friday, March 17th. On the previous Sunday he had twice occupied his familiar seat in Trinity Church, Napier, and had taken charge of the Sunday School in the afternoon. It came, therefore, as a great surprise to his minister and friends, to find him on Wednesday and Thursday rapidly sinking. His simple faith was unclouded. The dying saint saw the glory before he left his mortal frame. "Oh, this is more than I have deserved!" "What a glorious company!" "Hallelujah!" Such utterances as these tell of the rapture of the spirit while the bodily strength was failing. Mr. Cobb, who was born in 1841 at Wimborne, Dorsetshire, came with his family to New Zealand on board the great ship "Lady Jocelyn," in 1884, proceding immediately to Napier from Wellington. After a short residence at Port Ahuriri the family moved to Hastings, where Mr. Cobb for four years was superintendant of the Presbytarian Sunday School. For the past twenty four years the family have resided in Napier. During that long term, Mr. and Mrs. Cobb and their children have taken active interest in all departments of the Church life and work of the Napier circuit. Mr. Cobb was one of the pioneers workers of the Bethel Tent at "Western Spit;" and as Trustee, Society Steward, and Prayer Leader, he filled many years with toil for the glory of God at Trinity Church. For seven years he acted as Superintendant of Trinity Sunday School, and at the time of his demise, was the teacher of a large Sunday School class, who deeply mourn their loss. He leaves a widow, six sons and two daughters. A very large concorse assembled in the Napier Cemetery, where the Superentendant of the Circuit conducted the funeral service. On Sunday night, March 19th, in Trinity Church, his minister preached the funeral sermon to a large congregation. 

*Alfred Mallett (Jan 1857 - 6 Feb 1941)

  • When Joseph and Harriet decided to immigrate to New Zealand, family records say that they sold their shop to Alfred Mallett in 1881 (although it may have been in 1883). 
  • Alfred, who was originally from Dursley, Gloucestershire, and was a 'jobbing blacksmith', married Mary Ann Cole (9 years his senior) in 1880. 
  • Alfred was an artist and a musician, as well as a photographer.
  • Alfred and Mary's first son, William Alfred Mallett, was born in October 1882 in Stinchcombe, Glaucestershire. Their second son, Ernest Mallett was born in Christchurch in January 1884. At least two further children were born to Alfred and Mary, in Christchurch, Ethel Mary Mallett (b1886) and Arthur G Mallett (b1888). 
  • Alfred is mentioned in the UK City and County Directories 1885 as being a photographer on High Street, Christchurch, Hampshire.
  • The 1901 UK Census says that Alfred's children, Ernest (19) and Ethel (15), were both working in the photography studio with their father. They were still there in 1911 (both single and in their mid to late 20s). 
  • Alfred hired a young apprentice, Tom Brown. Alfred taught him the violin as well as photography skills. He eventually became a professional musician!
  • The Mallett family operated the photography and fancy store for around 23  years. The business was sold to George Moss in 1904.

Sources of information:

For further exploration:
  • Book- Story of photographers of Christchurch between 1855 & 1915 by Allen White, Hurad Ltd (found in the Red House Museum in Christchurch)
  • Wimborne cemetery in 1865 was in Blandford Road

Last updated on 29 June 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment